- Dr. Jennifer Lawrie succesfully defends her thesis "In situ DNA synthesis in Porous Silicon for Biosensing Applications"
- Kyle joins the group for his first rotation in Material Science program
- Shweta wins 2012 AVS Clever T-Shirt Contest!!!
- Dr. Weiss has been accepted into the 2012-2013 class of the highly exclusive Defense Science Study Group. Article link
- Petr gives a talk titled "Fiber-to-chip coupler based on transformation optics at CLEO:QELS 2012 in San Jose, CA
- Jeremy and Judson both get the talk of the day awards at PSST in Malaga, Spain
- Jenifer gives a talk titled "Functionalization of Mesoporous Silicon Biosensors to Achieve Tunable DNA Bioreceptor Density" at AVS 58th Annual International Symposium and Exhibition in Nashville TN
- Jeremy presents a poster on "Molecular Diffusion Dynamics from Mesoporous Silicon Films by Real-Time Optical Interferometry" at BMES Fall meeting
- Congratulations to Dr. Chris Kang with successful thesis defense and a job position with Intel
- Gilbert, Dylan, and Nishant join the group
- Judson's DIPS paper gets the cover of Nanoletters!!!
- Yang leaves for his 6 month internship with Xerox
- Dr. Weiss attends the U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium
- Dr. Jeremy Mares joins the group as a postdoc, from UCF College of Optics
- Dr. Weiss attends the German-American Frontiers of Science Symposium
- Shweta, Matt, and Tyler (VUSRP) join the group
- Judson receives the NSF GFRP Fellowship
- Chris and Judson present talks at CLEO/QELS 2010 in San Jose, CA
- Farah graduates receives her BS degree
- Parker receives the Goldwater Scholarship
- Jon successfully defended his dissertation. Congratulations!
- Judson, Jenifer and Prof. Weiss present at PSST 2010 in Valencia, Spain
- Dr. Weiss receives the PECASE award at the White House in Washington, D.C. Please see the photos page to view pictures of the award ceremony.
- Judson, Yang and Prof. Weiss present at SPIE Photonics West
- Parker and Hanis join the group
- Prof. Weiss was a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)! Congratulations! Official Announcement, VU News Article
Excerpt: "President Obama today named 100 beginning researchers as recipients of the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers, the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on young professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers. The recipient scientists and engineers will receive their awards in the Fall at a White House ceremony.
The Presidential Early Career Awards embody the high priority the Administration places on producing outstanding scientists and engineers to advance the nation's goals and contribute to all sectors of the economy. Nine Federal departments and agencies join together annually to nominate the most meritorious young scientists and engineers--researchers whose early accomplishments show the greatest promise for strengthening America's leadership in science and technology and contributing to the awarding agencies' missions."
- Chris Phare joins the group
- Girija, Farah (VUSRP) and Troy (NSF REU) join the group
- Lutalo and Amelia receive their BS degrees
- Jenifer, Xing, and Prof. Weiss present at SPIE Photonics West
- Lutalo and Amelia join the group for Independent Study
- Jon and Prof. Weiss present at MRS
- Prof. Weiss presents at IEEE LEOS
- Brooke and Ryan join the group
- Guoguang successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations! (photos)
- Chris and Jenifer pass their prelim exams
- Chris presents at SPIE Optics+Photonics
- Ran graduates with MS in Electrical Engineering
- Journal of Applied Physics paper published on birefringent effects of porous silicon multilayer structures (link)
- Judson, Yang, Dayana, and Aminah join the group
- Judson graduates with BS in Electrical Engineering and Physics (and will stay with the group for his PhD)
- Prof. Weiss awarded NSF CAREER
- Xing passes her prelim exam.
- Guoguang publishes Biosensors and Bioelectronics paper on detection of DNA hybridization in porous silicon waveguide (link)
- Jon publishes Journal of Materials Chemistry paper on encapsulated ultra-small CdSe nanocrystals for white-light emission (link)